Joint Office United Support for Transportation Lab Consortium
The Joint Office of Energy and Transportation (Joint Office) established the Joint Office United Support for Transportation (JUST) Lab Consortium to conduct actionable research on integrating equity into federally funded EV infrastructure deployment efforts. This consortium comprises three U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) national laboratories:
- Argonne National Laboratory
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- National Renewable Energy Laboratory.
JUST Lab Consortium Focus Areas
EVSE Case Studies | Justice40 Benefits Methods | Analysis Capabilities and Pilots for Equitable EVSE Deployment | Community Engagement Techniques | Review of Energy & Transportation Justice Frameworks
The JUST Lab Consortium provides technical support to Joint Office staff and its constituents with a focus on an equitable and clean transportation transition. This consortium builds on national lab expertise in providing technical assistance to the DOE Clean Cities Coalition Network. This includes state-of-the-art analysis capabilities to inform the planning and implementation of clean transportation policies and programs that maximize benefits for underserved communities.
Consortium responsibilities include:
- Providing Joint Office staff with insights on equity and Justice40 topics included in the first set of National Electric Vehicle Infrastructure (NEVI) Formula Program state plans.
- Creating an inventory of relevant analysis tools, models, and datasets that could be used to design for and assess equitable outcomes of electric vehicle supply equipment (EVSE) programs.
- Developing metrics and methods for tracking equitable outcomes from transportation electrification programs and projects, including approaches that could be utilized for Justice40 implementation.
- Piloting analysis tools and metrics that could be used to inform state EVSE planning and assessment of impacts for disadvantaged communities.
- Disseminating meaningful community engagement techniques and approaches that center on underserved communities in EVSE planning, implementation, and evaluation.
- Compiling case studies and lessons learned on EVSE and mobility projects from across the country that were designed to result in equitable outcomes.
- Synthesizing academic research on frameworks for ensuring environmental, energy, and transportation justice in clean transportation programs.
The JUST Lab Consortium will share equity best practices and provide technical assistance through analysis, webinars, trainings, and reports to Joint Office constituents, including state departments of transportation, cities and local agencies, tribal nations, and community organizations. JUST Lab Consortium materials and event information will be added to this website as they become available.
To contact the JUST Lab Consortium, submit a general inquiry through the Joint Office and reference the JUST Lab Consortium.