Webinar: State of the Practice in EV Charging Station Site Design
April 4, 2023
During this webinar, national experts discussed key considerations in the design of electric vehicle (EV) charging stations, such as accessibility, security, parking, operations, and maintenance.
The panelists included:
- Cabell Hodge, National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)
- Mark Simon, New York City Department of Transportation
- Marcy Bauer, EVgo.
The purpose of the webinar was to inform state and local agencies, site hosts, utilities, and other stakeholders on approaching the design of EV charging stations that conform to National Electric Vehicle Infrastructure (NEVI) Formula Program requirements.
Participants left the webinar with a better understanding of best practices around EV charging site design. This webinar was the second of four in a series of topics related to EV charging station site design. Watch a recording of the March 23, 2023, webinar on site evaluation.
- NREL is releasing a tool called EVI-Locate, a site design and cost estimation tool to support the early stages of electric vehicle supply equipment deployment.
- Working with fleet customers involves behind-the-fence charging or mixed-use hubs that can serve both public and fleet needs.
- Curbside charging implementation has been successful in New York City and utilization levels have exceeded expectations.
- As EVgo considers futureproofing, they look for areas with physical space to expand, implement higher powered charging than most EVs on the market currently utilize, and install stub outs for future charging deployment.