Webinar: State of the Practice in DC Charging Station Site Evaluation and Deployment Processes
March 23, 2023
The Joint Office of Energy and Transportation hosted a webinar with the Colorado Energy Office and Pennsylvania Department of Transportation on the state of the practice for electric vehicle (EV) charging station site evaluation and deployment processes.
The panelists discussed their experiences evaluating sites for EV charging stations. They intended to provide state and local government, site hosts, utilities, and others with information to determine the feasibility of a site, coordinate with utilities, determine power requirements, and acquire the necessary permits.
The panelists included:
- Christian Williss, Colorado Energy Office
- Natasha Fackler, Pennsylvania Department of Transportation
- Colton Brown, Pennsylvania Department of Transportation.
- Colorado has existing charging infrastructure programs for Level 2 and DC fast charging. The National Electric Vehicle Infrastructure (NEVI) Formula Program funding will be deployed through the Direct Current Fast-Charging Plazas Program. The Colorado NEVI program will prioritize locations serving disproportionately impacted communities and include tiered incentive levels.
- Creative incentives and evaluation criteria can help to achieve the policy and program goals of the state. Additionally, it is important to prepare for longer project timelines. These projects are probably going to take 18–24 months.
- Utility coordination is a key component for project development and site selection sites that will be more likely to reach project completion.
- As future NEVI funding rounds arise, they will be change and evolve to identify infrastructure needs and to support the overall program goals.
- National Renewable Energy Lab EVI-X Modeling Tools
- Idaho National Laboratory’s Caldera
- M.J. Bradley’s Infrastructure Location Identification Toolkit
- Minnesota Department of Transportation’s Installation Requirements for Electric Vehicle Charing Stations
- Colorado DCFC Plaza’s Program: DCFC Plazas - Colorado Energy Office